Monday 11 October 2010

Fabric Watch: Denim

Writing about fabrics isn't really my ideal interest. To be fair if I thought I could of made this a stronger piece, writing about Latex was probably more up my street. But nonetheless the work had to be done for my lecture this morning for here is my fabric moment.

It is considerably one of the most over-looked fabrics in the fashion industry. Denim has been used in America since the late 18th century and made its mark in the fashion world in the 50's. Originally the fabric was known for the uniform of heavy labourers and industrial workers. Then Levi Strauss arrived on the scene and made denim one of the most wearable fabrics in the fashion industry. He was "the inventor" of the denim jean. As soon as the likes of Marlon Brando and James Dean were seen in denim jeans, the world went crazy. Over the decades the rugged cotton has been bleached, ripped and frayed to fit in with the new trends of the era. 1970's brought us the denim mini skirt and the 80's brought the re-introduction of 501's. Denim has never really been a fabric to sway on and off the catwalk and the jean is a staple item in the wardrobe of the world. Today the likes of True Religion and Seven for All Mankind have become the leading denim designers with everyone from Miley Cyrus to Halle Berry wearing their designs. Even Yves Saint Laurent once quoted "I wish I had invented blue jeans. They have expression, modesty, sex appeal and simplicity - all I hope for in my clothes".

No comments:

Post a Comment